![]() |
| Angy, Florinel and Paula at the Sunshine School |
![]() |
| Alex 'vacuuming' during his PT session |
While I have been working on many different projects during my two-plus weeks here in Romania, not a day has gone by that I haven't worked with Sunshine School and Darius House PTs, Paula and Angy. Nor has a day gone by that I haven't been asked to give advice to an RCE employee or family member..aches and pains, circulatory issues, tennis (or ping pong actually) elbow, pounding headaches, you name it. So all my years spent as a PT and working in a hospital have been invaluable.
![]() |
| Alex getting a little help from his friends |
And even in a socialized medicine system, patients have to buy and get their medicines from a pharmacy even when they are IN the hospital. They also have to provide their own bed sheets and blankets. If a family member wants to stay at the hospital to help care for a family member, the hospital charges them a daily fee. The hospital needs the help because of staffing issues, the families want to help, but often can't afford to pay the fee.
![]() |
| Ad for a PT clinic in a small village |
![]() |
| Toni |
Adequate equipment/technology is also a problem. It isn't uncommon to have to wait for a very long time to have an elective surgery done, due to faulty or broken equipment. This just happened to a friend the other day who needs arthroscopic surgery on her knee-- something that is done very commonly in the US. The "machine" needed to do the surgery was broken and now the procedure has been delayed for more than a month.
![]() |
| Stephanie with both legs casted |
I spent some time with Stephanie's mom yesterday encouraging her to ask specific questions regarding Stephanie's follow-up care after the casts come off... any restrictions to her movement or are there specific ways to handle her, when can therapy begin, etc. One thing I DO like about the Romanian system is that patients have easy access to their medical records and films. I've looked at a bunch of x-rays (head, knee, pelvis) and medical records over the past couple of weeks in people's homes. It's unusual for the patient NOT to have them. Having access to x-rays and records makes it easier for me to understand what is going on. I have even been able to do a little bit of teaching on reading radiographs so people at least know what they are looking at.
![]() |
| using BOTH hands! |
![]() |
| Toni kissing a 'baby' in a magazine |
A couple updates..
The goat purchase will be made next week! Ovi has a man searching in a nearby village for a goat that I can try milking (yikes!) before we take it over to the poor family that is expecting it.
![]() |
| Toni and her Mom and Dad |
![]() |
| Happy at her LAST P.T. session! |
I saw little Toni for the last time this morning. We had a great session together with both her Mom and Dad. We talked about how much progress she's made over the past 2 weeks. She can now kneel, lift her arms up into the air while she's kneeling, she can pull herself up to stand, maintain standing, she can even take some steps. Her weaker left hand has come a long way in a short time: she can now use it to manipulate objects of all sizes, eat, clap and even blow kisses! Her mom is especially pleased with her progress as she has taken Toni to many specialists and clinicians with few acceptable results. As our session ended, she grabbed me and squeezed me tight as she cried and told me in Romanian.."I will never forget you"... this is one of the reasons I come here. Your life can be used to touch others' in ways unimaginable...RCE's call is to 'make mercy happen' and I see that here every single day..
Romanian words of the day:
Yes= da
No= nu (new)
Thank you= multumesc (mool-to-mesc)
You're welcome= cu placere (coo pla-chair-e)










I love Toni and her Mom and Dad...
ReplyDelete