Monday, March 21, 2011

"Christmas" in Curtici!

About 10 years ago, a little boy was born in Romania and his mom named him "Christmas".  Unfortunately he was quickly abandoned, but fortunately just as quickly he came under RCE's care. I hadn't seen him since he was a little baby. Christmas was eventually adopted through RCE's adoption agency, Speranta Copiilor. Now known as "Dani", this little orphan boy has a mom and is well loved in the small village of Curtici.  Curtici sits on the Romanian-Hungarian border and is the main rail border crossing for trains that travel from Budapest to Bucharest.

Mimi speaking in Curtici

I went to Curtici this past Sunday night with Mimi and Carmen as Mimi presented RCE's vision to the Curtici Baptist Church.  Actually Dani is one of four abandoned orphan children whom RCE has placed in families in Curtici.

Mimi and 10 year old Dani
Cara, who is four was adopted by the pastor of the church and his wife; another Dani (now 14 years old) was placed in a family there, and the fourth and most recent placement is Madalena. She was taken in by a woman named Aurica, who worked in RCE's Darius House, and her family. Madalena had lived in Darius House prior to moving to Curtici, and she is profoundly impaired.
Dani and his Mom









Aurica- left; Cara front, Madalena center, Dani right and Aurica's children
Aurica gave an emotional testimony as she spoke about bringing Madalena into her home and how her life has changed because of her new 'daughter'. She encouraged others in the church to consider adopting orphan children and/or supporting RCE as the foundation moves forward in 'making mercy happen' for so many.  It was a very moving evening and it was evident that Aurica's testimony was an encouragement to all.

On Thursday afternoon of this week, I will travel to Szeged, Hungary which is a city just over the Romanian-Hungarian border from Curtici.  I will be accompanying Angy, one of the PTs at Sunshine School, and Mimi's wife Carmen to a medical clinic there. Both have knee problems and I've been trying to convince them to travel to Szeged for an out-of-country second opinion.  Thankfully the orthopedist they are scheduled to see speaks English as not a one of us speaks Hungarian,which is a far cry from Romanian. Should be another interesting adventure and I'm thankful I can go with them. I think they are equally excited that they will have their own personal "American PT" joining them.

Romanian Words of the Day:

What is your name=  cum te cheama (coom tay cay-ama)
My name is= ma cheama (ma cay-ama) ___________

2 comments:

  1. Great job Marti !!!!May God bless you !!! What a wounderfull job ! a friend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marti
    What a blessing it was to hear about Aurica's testimony about adopting Magdalena. There was such a bond between them from the start. Loved Ovi's Hamburger! I will be praying that the orthopedic dr will be able to help Carmen and Angy's knee problems. Love to all Lydia

    ReplyDelete